Essential advice for content storytelling
Great stories make great content. The more memorable the stories are about your company or brand, the more likely they are readily shared by an audience you are looking to connect and engage with.Storytelling is one of the best ways to make a personal connection with consumers. Like a look behind the scenes, you are giving the audience more than they would get from a banner ad. The employees are your characters, the decisions reached are the plot lines that keep the consumer interested.
Using storytelling as part of your content strategy takes time, and effort. There is always the temptation to turn the story into a straight-up sales pitch.
But customers want to be moved as well as sold. They want the opportunity to get to know the company that wants to provide to them a product or service. And, they want to pass the story along to others through social media.
“As marketers, we are constantly telling stories to our audiences, particularly through content marketing,” content marketing expert Arnie Kuenn says in this article. “When employing content marketing as a tactic, it is imperative to connect with your audience through storytelling.”
Kuenn offers several fundamental storytelling techniques in the article that can be applied to content creation. They include:
- Remember the essentials – memorable characters, a plot line, a conclusion – in the blog, storyboard or other content product.
- Don’t be afraid to try different media. Storytelling comes in many forms, so be sure to research what is most effective with the target audience.
- Learn from the storytelling masters. What inspired them, and how did they do it? Learn from their methods and apply them to your content creation efforts.
- Dissect work that you like. As a content creator, there’s a reason why you find a particular video or story appealing. Apply that knowledge to your own work.
- Make the content fascinating to your audience. Ensure that they remember your story and your brand.
- Resist the urge to embellish the content. Stay truthful.
- Remember to write for the consumer. It is about what interests them, not the other way around.
- Connect with the audience by letting some personality and individuality show in your storytelling.
How does storytelling work best in your content marketing efforts? Drop us a line and let us know.
We are MyMobileLyfe and we can help your company develop a content marketing strategy to reach people on the go. Click here to contact us.